Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Movie: Elysium


Hello Employees!

I was really looking forward to this movie for a long time. If you didn't know, I am an avid Science Fiction fan, and will go see just about any sci-fi movie that comes out. So that being said, I went into this movie with high hopes and purposely kept unknown to the plot.

So my one word that I'll give "Elysium", is "Savage".

I chose savage because of Elysium itself. It is basically a "perfect" world in which the most wealthy live on. Orbiting the earth, Elysium is a man made space station that was created because of over population on earth. The richest of the rich moved there and with them brought technology that can cure any disease or injury, that only they have access too. Left stranded on earth with a robot police force, the majority of the population are left fighting for opportunities to just make it another day.

Max Da Costa (Matt Damon), a California ex-con who is trying to turn his life around, is presented with an opportunity to change Earth and Elysium forever. Matt Damon really sold the part for me. He showed the desperation of Max, and longing to full fill his childhood dream in a way that never had me question the characters motivation. Sometimes I can get distracted from a story by unconvincing acting, but Damon played it well. Along with him, the rest of the cast did a good job along side, but the Elysian Secretary of Defense, Jessica Delacourt (Jodie Foster), really made you despise Elysian that much more.

Warning! The content below could be considered a spoiler. I mention what I feel could have been better for the storyline, revealing what did not occur in the movie. Read at your own risk.

My biggest problem with this storyline, was how I felt it was unconvincing that not one person on Elysium showed compassion for the remaining people on Earth. I can understand that Earth has transformed into an violent, cruel, crowded place. Also, that the people who live on Elysium are the most rich, and presumably, selfish people from Earth. That being said, humans are not robotic, they are not unemotional, and incapable of being compassionate. There are thousands of people on Elysium from what I could tell, and I felt the storyline would've been a little bit more believable, and maybe even redeeming for Elysium, if someone from the inside (Elysium), would've helped progress the story.

Overall I definitely recommend a watch in the theaters. I feel it's worth it to see Elysium and many of the sci-fi elements in all their glory.

RossBoss Performance Review: 8 out of 10

promoted

No comments:

Post a Comment