Thursday, August 15, 2013

Movie: Pacific Rim



Release Date: July 12, 2013 (USA)

Director: Guillermo del Toro

Running time: 131 minutes

Budget: 180 million USD (2013)

Screenplay: Travis Beacham

Rating: PG-13

Hello Employees! If I could describe this movie in just one word, it would be: "Exciting"

Although the story might not be the deepest or most intriguing, I found Pacific Rim to be pure fun to watch. Think Godzilla's on steroids, called Kaijus, fighting Rock 'em-Sock 'em robots, named Jaegers, piloted by two UFC fighters. Although the fighting between the two is most certainly the main focus of this movie, I found my self questioning if giant robots were the best idea to get rid of the Kaiju. I will say they had tried other means of stopping these giant monsters, but it was as if a young child was in charge of the offensive strategies against the Kaiju's. Which is probably why the movie comes across as a young boys imagination come to life. 

The main character; Raliegh Becket, played by Charlie Hunnam (Sons of Anarchy, Green Street Hooligans), is a young conceited pilot, whose only skills seem to be fighting; this being the reason he and the rest of the pilots are chosen. Then through cerebral linking with the other pilot, engage in fights to the death with oceans and cities as their stages. Overall I thought the acting fit the storyline well, I can say that my mind was mostly focusing on which Jaeger I liked best more then the characters. I will say I was a little surprised to see Charlie Day (Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Horrible Bosses) in the movie. He played his typical comic relief, but also, story progressing doctor named, Newton Geiszler. Who, I will say, I found to be amusing yet sometimes annoying at parts, like I find with any character Charlie Days plays.

In the end, with little background into most characters and only short explanations into the Jaegers and Kaijus themselves, I recommend you watch "Pacific Rim" for what it is; a brawling but-kicking joy ride. Overall I would say that it is definitely worth paying a few extra dollars to see the Jaegers and Kaiju in their full form on the big screen. 

RossBoss Performance Review: 7.5 out of 10
promoted

No comments:

Post a Comment